No Resolutions

HAPPY 2009, EVERYONE! I'm now back here in Marikina from San Pablo where I spent my new year's eve with Lolo & Tita Ayen, who forced me to wake up a few minutes before twelve midnight so that I could join them in a humble media noche they prepared for the three of us. I was too tired to get up but I didn't go home for new year to hurt their feelings. I acted eager, and I think I overacted. Of course it was nothing like the gathering I remembered from when I was very young & we were still in our old house. This year, we had no fireworks, not even a torotot. No neighbors would come to our house to share the coming of the new year with us. We just ate by ourselves and then, a little past 12:30 am, I went back to bed.

But it's been a happy January 1. Before I left San Pablo earlier, my cousins went to our house and we talked, made fun of each other, played psp alternately. I felt home. I felt young. I felt like my real self. I also gave Tito Joven the only copy of Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog I brought home. He naturally asked for a dedication. I wrote: "Kay Tito Joven na nagturo sa aking magbasa at magsulat: Maraming salamat sa lahat!" Even before I entered kindergarten, Tito Joven would spend the late afternoons trying to teach me my abakada. He was also the one who introduced me to the novels of Lualhati Bautista--the most popular three (Gapo, Dekada '70 and Bata, Bata.. Pa'ano Ka Ginawa?) I finished reading even before I graduated from grade school. A revelation: Tito Tony in Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog is about 5% Tito Joven, but I'm not telling in what way.

o O o

The vacation made me catch up with my TV series downloads. This past week I finished watching the six-part Apparitions, and back seasons of Survivor (Borneo, season 1) and The Amazing Race (season 4; I already saw seasons 1 & 2 but had to skip season 3 which is yet to finish downloading). I'm a little slow on watching movies, however; saw only two in the past week: Ang Tanging Ina Ninyong Lahat (I just love the very subtle suggestion for the president's need to resign when things are not working for the better) and Wall-E, which I didn't really enjoy much despite the hype in its theatrical release months ago (I thought it's just too romanticized, but what could I expect from Walt Disney's?).

o O o

Can someone ask me to stop spending my internet time building a barrio called Atisan here?


o O o

I don't want any resolutions made this year for myself. I'm happy. Mostly. I only have plans. Many many plans. Right now, I'm actually already working on one of them: My house is finally partly being painted. Yesterday, I already told my high school bestfriends to visit me and see my house on my birthday. The last time I saw them was when I launched Pag-aabang sa Kundiman in 2006 and they went to Conspiracy all the way from Laguna. And this has been the most touching text message I received in recent memory, got from PM yesterday: "Langya ka mis na kta. Brtday mu ha. Andun kami n jepoy. Kamusta daw sbi ng mame."