Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog Is Now a Book!

Yesterday I hinted about a good news I received. Now it can finally be disclosed: my first novel, Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog, is now finally a book, published by Anvil (233 pages). I went to the office yesterday afternoon to get my compli copies of the book that were left by Ms. Karina Bolasco. I was told that it will be available in Powerbooks by January 5 or 6 (and hopefully, also in National Bookstores a little later), and that the retail price is Php 250. I hope you guys can get yourself a copy and tell your friends to grab one too.

Yesterday I also received a Christmas card from Naya, and she was the first one I shared the good news with. (I'm yet to receive her reply in Facebook however.) I told her, para akong tanga because I was trying to read my novel again. Sure I was seeing things that I wished were & weren't there, but hey, it was the best I could come up with two or maybe even three years ago. I really poured myself into it. I was literally having dreams about my characters back then. Right now I'm just so happy that it's finally out. I can concentrate now on the second novel, Sa Kasunod ng 909, which is incidentally also my Ph.D. dissertation.

I was not asked to write an acknowledgment page (and I was kind of shy to ask if I could; I thought the novel was thick enough as it was), but I need to thank a lot of people that made this book possible. But possible in a literal sense for now; I know I have many more to give thanks to for making the book possible in ways more indirect than these ones, but I'm gonna save all of them for later. For now:

1. The National Commission for Culture and the Arts for awarding me the NCCA Writer's Prize in 2005. The Php 250,ooo.oo grant forced me to finish the novel (at least the first draft) on time. Also to the judges, novelists Efren R. Abueg and Jun Cruz Reyes, who saw promise in the early drafts of the first few chapters. Sir Jun guided me all the way through the writing process, and his comments, even if I didn't always agree with and follow them, were precious. I'd also like to mention Ms. Frances Alincastre of the NCCA for coordinating efficiently with the project.

2. The Ateneo Office of Research and Publications and its director Ms. Karen Cardenas (also my publisher for my first poetry book) for awarding me two writer's retreat grants to Boracay in 2005 and 2006. The experience was an impetus I needed to fuel my creative energy. Portions of the earlier draft of the novel were also published in the two Boracay anthologies that were released early this year.

3. Danton Remoto for going out of his way to help me submit the manuscript to Ms. Karina Bolasco of Anvil. Is there any Filipino writer today who wouldn't want to get published by Anvil? I'm very privileged, and I wanna thank Ms. Bolasco for trusting that my novel must be turned into a book. Also to Ms. Ani Habulan who was there to hear all my pangungulit during the production phase. I'm always lucky to be working with very accomodating publishing houses (previously with ORP, as I already mentioned, and also with Adarna House).

4. Jason Moss for agreeing to use his "Immortality" as cover illustration for the book. When I first saw the painting, I kinda felt already that it had the spirit of what I intend to do in this novel. I'm very glad that he gave us the permission.

17 Responses to Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog Is Now a Book!

  1. congratulations, egay. truly your productivity is peaking. more power!

  2. salamat, ser roland! :-)

  3. congrats, sir! will grab a copy!

    - law camacho, summer class 08.

  4. salamat, law. tell your classmates din ha. i remember telling your class about it last summer he he. :-)

  5. congrats sa bagong libro, egay! hahanapin ko yan agad sa bookstores. gusto kong ma-inspired : )

    -alice mallari

  6. wow, salamat po, ma'am alice! :-) musta na? tagal ko nang walang balita sa inyo.

  7. napakagandang balita sa bagong taon yan. congrats. paano kaya ako makakakuha ng kopya n'yan. hmmm. happy new year!!!

  8. Congratulations! If you love writing poems, you might want to join a poetry contest--and get a chance to win $500 in cash! Here are the details: http://pinoycontests.blogspot.com/2008/12/win-500-in-cash.html

  9. mabuti naman, egay. nakapagluwal na rin sa wakas ng unang children's book sa adarna (naks!) atmedyo malapit na itong masundan, ibang publisher naman. happy 2009! : )

  10. sir, ang ganda ng libro niyo! sana makasulat ako ng ganun kagandang libro. haay... congratz po! ^_^

  11. salamat, tep! sana'y maibalita mo sa iba mong mga kaibigan at kakilala para mabasa rin nila. :)

  12. sir ang lalim po ng novel na ito.. siguro kasi 1st time ko nagbasa ng ganito, so nanibago ako. pde po ba humingi sa inyo ng tulong? about sa novel din po na walong diwata ng pagkahulog.. sir kung ok lng po eto po email address ko: migs_ayesa@yahoo.com.. salamat po sir.. more power po and Godbless!

  13. Sir Ed, ito na siguro ang isa sa mga makabuluhang libro na binasa ko sa matagal na panahon. Kakaibang-kakaiba. Sana magbunga pa ang kwento mo ng atisan ng iba pang mas kakaibang at nakaka-engganyong mga kwento.

    More power

  14. wow, maraming salamat po. sana'y maipakilala n'yo rin ang nobela sa iba n'yo pang kaibigan para mabasa rin nila. maraming salamat po ulit!

  15. I am now cataloguing your book for a Canadian public library! Very Cool!

  16. Wow, thanks. :) I actually sent copies to friends based in Canada when the book was released early this year.

  17. where to buy your book sir?